Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Float Decorating Day (Shift #3 - 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM)
Deco Site Rules
- Activities: Major decorating activities will be the application of dry and floral materials.
- Location: Before Christmas, our decorating site is behind the Valley Water Company Building at 4524 Hampton Rd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. How To Find Us After Christmas we move under the bridge (next door) to 4510 Hampton Rd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. Street Parking is available in the residential neighborhood. Check posted signs for parking rules, especially on 12/31.
- On-Site Registration: When you arrive on site, you will check in at the registration table and answer the appropriate COVID-19 screening questions (See Covid Safety Rules and Status below.).
- Meals: Meal availability will be subject to Covid-19 protocols in place at the time. We currently anticipate that meals will be served during lunch and dinner times (shifts 1 & 3). All food is donated, and we cannot accommodate special dietary needs. If you need a special meal, please bring it with you, or plan to go to a nearby restaurant during the meal break. Snacks and water/hot chocolate are available at all times. All food and drinks are free. Take breaks when needed.
- Clothing: Wear lots of layers, as temperatures vary greatly under the bridge and it can get quite chilly at night. Don’t forget to wear clothing that can get very, very dirty- glue gets everywhere at the float, including on your clothes, and doesn’t necessarily wash off.
- Be Patient: Please bring your patience under the bridge. Over 1,000 volunteers are helping with the float this year, and it can take some time to match people to the jobs that need to get done during the shift. Show up on time for your shift and understand that it can take some time to get everything moving at the beginning of a shift, especially if you have young children with you.
- Children: Anyone under the age of 13 needs to stay with an adult at all times, and both feet must stay on the pavement! We have plenty of fun jobs to do, but people under the age of 13 cannot climb onto scaffolding or the float.
- Climbing Safety: Some decorating jobs involve climbing on scaffolding. If you are scared of heights or unable to climb up ladders onto narrow surfaces safely, there are plenty of other jobs that you can do- just ask. If at any time you feel unsafe under the bridge, please find a crew chief or construction volunteer and ask for help.
- Allergies: Decorating materials can include things that people are allergic to, including nuts. If you have allergies, please make sure to bring your medication with you. Ask your crew chief exactly what you are decorating with to ensure your safety.
- Following Directions: Many of the materials used to decorate need to be applied in very specific ways. The crew chiefs and decorating heads are there to make sure that the float looks its best on New Year’s Day. They may come to you with feedback or corrections. Please listen carefully to their comments so that every part of our float looks awesome. If you have any questions or don't understand what you need to do, please ask.
- All Jobs Are Important: There are lots of jobs that need to be completed to make the float a success. You may be filling vials with irises, painting parts of the float, applying beans one by one to make a detailed pattern, stripping pieces of bark that will later be applied by other volunteers, making sure that only floral glue is used on flowers, or even vacuuming the float so that an area is clean before decorating. Every job is essential, and we are grateful for you volunteering your time to do them all.
- Float in Motion: If you want to see the float in motion, come back on December 31st for final judging. The float will be completed and the full animation and music will be running. We always appreciate having a big crowd to cheer on the judges. The exact timing (which may change) will be posted under the bridge.
Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 5:30 PM until 10:00 PM
Float Decorating Site ("Under the Bridge")
4510 Hampton Road
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
Registration is required before Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 6:00 PM
Covid Safety Rules and Status
The safety measures needed to respond to COVID-19 are constantly evolving, and a final safety plan will be sent to all volunteers prior to Deco Week. We are following the safety practices recommended by the Los Angeles County Public Health Department. Please check back prior to volunteering to review the current protocols.
Currently we are planning that at the start of their shift every decorating volunteer will be asked to provide either proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test (per LA County Guidelines) in the last 72 hours, regardless of age. Every decorator will also have to agree that they have not recently experienced any of the signs/symptoms of COVID-19 or been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
These requirements may be changed or expanded prior to Deco Week to include: Wearing masks, social distancing during decorating, frequent hand washing and use of hand sanitizing stations, and eating meals under the bridge only (not in the food tent).
Thank you again for volunteering and for your support and understanding as we work to improve the safety of our Deco Week experience.